20 October 2013

Happy (?) Eid

Eid, at least for me, usually lasts no longer than a few hours in which we visit our relatives. But that’s not how it should be. That’s not how Eid should be.

The most exciting thing about Eid shouldn’t be comparing the number of Eid greetings you receive on WhatsApp or Facebook, or what relative has the most delicious chocolate..

I think a family dinner to gather all the members of the extended family would be a good idea, or even a small family dinner would be nice. We could even arrange for a family movie night, or a trip to the mountains. There should be some sort of family ritual to decorate the house, at least to make the little kids be engaged in the holiday spirit. The town should be decorated and cleaned (they do that in Zahle on Christmas, and people volunteer to decorate the streets and trees). Those things can even be done in addition to the regular visits we usually do on Eid. 
Eid is slowly becoming less and less exciting that it was before. Maybe it’s because I’m growing up; but I sure used to get more excited for Eid at my sister’s age than she does now.
There isn’t a person that told me they had a good Eid when I asked. Eid should be the day in which we celebrate, have fun, enjoy ourselves… What really drove me to write this post was an innocent comment from my sister, when she told me that Christmas seems like a nice holiday [because families have dinner together and decorate pine trees, I suppose].
Don't get me wrong; I, and a lot of people, look forward to Eid. But what is it we really look forward to? New clothes and good chocolate and a break from our work/ school. Not that we shouldn't look forward to those things, but there should be more meaning and depth in our Eids and holidays..

Happy Eid to everyone who celebrated, hopefully your Eid was more exciting than mine was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Infinite Scroll | My blogger Tricks